Loreto College - Coleraine, Co. Derry, Northern Ireland
Loreto Crest
 

Our History

View Full Size Image
 
View Full Size Image
 

The impressive house which is the centre piece of Loreto College Coleraine was originally called 'Tiev Tara' and was owned by Mr Hugh Anderson. When he died in 1899 he left Tiev Tara to his partner's daughter, as he had no heirs of his own. Daisy Stewart, the new owner, didn't live in the house herself, but sold it to a Colonel Mellon, a retired Welsh army officer. However, after a short time the house was put up for sale again. In 1904 Fr. Convery P.P. bought 'Tiev Tara'. He planned to bring the Christian Brothers there to set up a boys' school; at that time the Christian Brothers got no grants for their schools and were supported entirely by voluntary subscriptions. The people of St. John's parish were not able to guarantee the amount of money required for the upkeep of the monastery so they had to decline the offer.

In 1906, the Ursuline order came and bought the house. They started a school which had accommodation for girls. They also had a Preparatory College for boys. The Ursulines also took charge of the primary school. The building now used as the Art College was the boys' Preparatory College. Before that it had been the coach house and stables. The Ursuline nuns extended the school, building more classrooms and a new dormitory in 1910.

In 1922 when the new Northern Ireland Educational Authority was set up, certain qualifications were needed to teach in secondary schools. The nuns, being French, did not have these qualifications so they decided to withdraw from the country. Then Dr. O'Kane, bishop of Derry, asked the Loreto nuns in Omagh to take over the schools, both primary and secondary. On August 13th 1930 four 'Sisters of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary', founded by Mary Ward (1585-1645) arrived. The Ursulines stayed with them for two weeks to help them settle into their new home. The original four sisters M. Rose, M. Colmcille, M. Aidan and M. Kevin were joined by M. Peter, M. Benedict and M. Gertrude as first members of the new community.

True to the spirit of their foundress, Mary Ward, the Loreto Sisters developed the school in Coleraine, added extensions, adapted to changes in the educational system and maintained the high standards of Loreto education. The school became co-educational in 1977. It is owned and maintained by the Loreto trustees and its affairs are managed by the Board of Governors.